Monday, March 9, 2009

Damo's Protein Bar Recipe. Awesome.


Ok, so during the days where you feel like something snacky, or you're getting a sweeth tooth attack, a protein bar is normally the best way to satisfy both those urges. You get the hit of protein (and a few carbs) to keep you going, and the sweetness to keep the sugar demon at bay.

I've spent the best part of two days going though multiple nutrition/body building/fitness forums and websites, hunting for that elusive perfect protein bar recipe you can make at home.

Why make them at home I hear you say? Because I don't want to spend between $3-6 every time I want a snack!

So from all the recipes I read, I decided to unleash the chef within me, and have a crack at making my own.

It took about ten minutes, and is SIMPLE to make.

Here's my recipe....

1 Cup of Peanut Butter (I use crunchy)
1 Cup of Honey (good sugar substitute)
1 Cup of Water
2 Cups of Rolled Oats (I toasted one cup of them in the oven for a bit of flavour)
2 Cups of Cereal (Use whatever you want, I used rice bubbles)
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Essence
12 scoops of protein. (A scoop is about 40 grams - for my scoop anyway)

(If you want to make a smaller batch, just halve the ingredients, and only put in the oven for 10 minutes)

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius, and LIGHTLY grease a flat baking tray.
2. Put the peanut butter, water, and honey into a saucepan on low heat, and mix until the peanut butter isn't lumpy. It doesn't actually dissolve, it just seperates.
3. Once the peanut butter is mixed, pour all the saucepan contents onto the rest of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4. Start mixing! It's pretty thick, and you'll get a good forearm workout, but make sure you get it all mixed properly.
5. Once it's mixed well, spoon and spread it out on the baking tray. It's VERY thick and sticky, so this is a task as well.
6. Once it's spread fairly evenly, whack it in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. Remove tray after the 15 minutes, and place in the fridge to cool.

You can choose to cut it before or after you put it in the fridge. I did it as soon as it came out of the oven.

It sets very well, and has the same consistency as store bought protein bars.

Oh, and did I mention they taste UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

As for the calories, I calculated (based on ingredients) that its about 210 calories per serving (normal size bar), with 29 grams protein, 19 grams carbs, and 4 grams of fat (good monounsaturated fat from the peanut butter).

A great CHEAP healthy alternative....

I'll be making them again for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Those bars sound amazing! I will for sure be making them this week, thanks for sharing.

    Keep encouraging and motivating each other and you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried the bars, and in their batter form, before baking them, they were amazing. But when we actually baked them they were horrible. They had no taste and were thick and bread-like. We followed the instructions. Did you leave a step or ingredient out accidentally?

    ReplyDelete